Monday, June 2, 2008

A Philippine Adventure Begins...

So, I finally get to post something on this blog as I head off to the Philippines. I created this site about 5 months ago when sending out my support letters. Looking back it does not seem that far away. This past year has flown by.

Today my mom helped me pack all of my stuff in my backpack. Luckily, I recieved an email a couple days ago stating that I could carry all of the food they require me to bring in a cardboard box. If it were not for that box...I would not have gotten it all packed.

I should have been training for this very moment because once we got done packing and I put the backpack on, it was extremely heavy! I can barely walk with it on. Had I known what lay ahead of me I could have been lifting more weights...OR SOMETHING!

There isn't much to say at this point except that I am ready to go! My flight leaves tomorrow night at 5:15 from the Atlanta airport. I then fly into Los Angeles. My flight leaves Los Angeles around 11:45 tomorrow night and gets into Hong Kong at 5:25 AM the next morning. After Hong Kong I will fly into Manila and from Manila I will fly into Davao City. I will spend the rest of the eight weeks in Davao City. My first couple days, however, include training for this summer's work.

I have not gotten too anxious or nervous yet. I am sure that is coming really soon!

My mom took some embarassing photos of me with my backpack on. I will include them so maybe you guys can visualize what I will be taking with me through all of my layovers and airport stays. I cannot wait till I get it there so I won't have to tote it around. The pack will be a lot less heavy on my way back over the states. Most of the stuff I take will be staying in the Philippines.

I found a person I will be working with this summer who I am going to meet up and travel with. I can only hope maybe her backpack is the same size as mine so we can struggle together! HA!

I apologize ahead of time for my posts this summer. I have often been told my blog entries are hard to read. I know I make some spelling mistakes and sometimes I ramble. I will try to improve in my story telling and writing abilities for everyone's sake!

Thanks for all of your prayer and support.

Here are those pictures:







Also, I really like the song YOURS by Steven Curtis Chapman. I thought it was fitting for what I was about to get ready to do:

I walk the streets of London
And notice in the faces passing by
Something that makes me stop and listen
My heart grows heavy with the cry

Where is the hope for London?
You whisper and my heart begins to soar
As I'm reminded
Every street in London is yours,oh yes, it is

I walk the dirt roads of Uganda
I see the scars that war has left behind
Hope like the sun is fading
Their waiting for a cure no one can find.

And I hear the children's voices singing
Of a God who hears and rescues and restores
And I'm reminded
That every child in Africa is Yours.

And it's all yours, God, yours, God
Everything is yours
From the stars in the sky
To the depths of the ocean floor

And it's all yours, God, yours, God
Everything is yours
You're the Maker and Keeper
Father and Ruler of everything, it's all Yours.

And I walk the sidewalks of Nashville
Like Singapore, Manila, and Shanghai
I brush by the beggar's hand and the wealthy man
And everywhere I look I realize

That just like the streets of London
For every man and woman, boy and girl
All of creation
This is our Father's world

And It's all yours, God, yours, God
Everything is yours
From the stars in the sky
To the depths of the ocean floor

And it's all yours, God, yours, God
Everything is yours
You're the Maker and Keeper
Father and Ruler of everything, it's all Yours.

6 comments:

BHorton said...

OFF YOU GO!

I Love you

DAD

allcedars said...

I'm going to miss you so much! I will pray for your safety.

Sandy said...

Hey, Jess! That is one huge backpack! Don't fall over, okay? I'll be praying for you this summer. Have a wonderful and blessed adventure.

expressions said...

wow you weren't kidding! you will get some serious abs carrying that thing. I love you friend and i know many young philipinos (sp?) will be touched by you!

Charles & Amber Vincent said...

hahaha your backpack is bigger than you are!!! :) I'm praying for you.

Lurve,

Amber

Anonymous said...

Hey Jess! Just wanted to let you know that I'm praying for you everyday. This upcoming Sunday is my first in the college and singles class. I can't wait. Hope you're having a great time. I know that many are blessed by the message that you bring. I will continue to pray for you every day and I look forward to reading more about your trip. God bless you gal!

In HIS grip and grace,
Hannah Hancock